Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Baby Story


I wanted to be sure to write down (type out) the story of finding out another Carpenter baby was on the way, so this post may share a little more than you want to hear (or read). Don't worry, not anything sick..I just might use words such as womanly cycle and pee stick, etc. You've been warned.

This little baby seems to be quite the little turkey already. I have a feeling he or she may give me a run for my money. I'm too old for running, by the way, so somebody start praying for me!

I was pretty convinced that I was pregnant just before Christmas. Bob had said he wanted me to wait to test until the first of the year. I, of course, thought he was crazy, but being the completely submissive good wife I am, I stayed away from the stores so I wouldn't be tempted to buy things I shouldn't.

On Christmas Eve, the kids and I were at the Church house getting ready for our annual Christmas Eve Celebration service while Bob had to work. He had planned to go to my dad's house after work, but didn't end up having enough time because the weather wasn't great. Soon after he got there, my SIL Heather told me she noticed he had a pregnancy test in his pocket. I was thrilled! After the service was over, I headed to find out if it was positive or not. I was certain it had to be. Well, a big negative showed up. I really was shocked.

The day after Christmas, Isabelle was really sick so my mom and I ended up taking her to the Urgent Care. Since I had my mom with me, I figured it'd be a really good time to stop by the dollar store and grab another test. Well, of course, the dollar store was fresh out. So, we went to another store and they were out, too. I headed home after that and my mom said she would go buy me a good test. (YAY! Thanks, Mom!) She returned a little bit later and I took it before she left. Another negative. Well, alright then.

New Year's Eve night, we headed out to Bob's parents for the annual party. Bobby was starting to get sick with what Isabelle had (RSV) so at about 10:30pm I headed home to pick up some medicine for him. As I was driving, I got to thinking that I should just try taking the second test of the package my mom had gotten for me. I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to surprise Bob at midnight and tell him I'm pregnant?!" I could tell I was getting really ahead of myself and just told myself to settle down, it would be negative again and I'd be silly to use up the test, especially since it was a digital one and I had never used a digital one. Well, I went against my better judgment (big surprise) and went ahead and tested away. The digital one takes a few minutes to register and has this hour glass that spins as it's processing. I remember just looking at it and thinking "hurry up and just say NOT PREGNANT so I can leave and get back to the party. Ugh! I can't believe I just wasted this test." It seemed like it was taking forever to process. All of a sudden, the word PREGNANT flashed across the screen.
.


I literally gasped! I was completely surprised! I put that thing in my pocket and headed out the door, barely able to keep my composure. I had prepared myself for another negative test so this caught me off guard! It was nearly 11 o'clock on NYE and I started thinking about how I was going to tell Bob at midnight! I called my mom first because, well, she bought me the test and I thought I owed her that! LOL
As I was talking to her, I pulled into the driveway of Bob's parents house. My brother-in-law's dad was at the party and had parked his car in an odd spot in the driveway. As I drove around his car, I completely misjudged how much space was needed to get around his vehicle. Yep. I hit it. Unbelievable. How was I going to explain this?

I went inside and let the car's owner know (in front of a whole room of men AND my husband who I hadn't told yet) about what had happened. How embarrassing. Bob wanted to take a look at the car to see how bad the damage was, so outside we went. He kept asking me how did I do that? Um, well...I could see I wasn't going to make it to midnight. I had to explain to him that the reason I was so scatterbrained!

He spun me in the air when I told him! HA! I told him not to tell anyone else yet because I wanted to take another test to confirm it. So, we went back inside, him heading back to the game with the guys, and me back to the living room and movies with the women. I was explaining to the women how I had hit the car and one of my SIL's said something like I was acting kind of ditsy and asked if I had tested lately? Oh my word. It wasn't long before all of the women in the room, except for my MIL knew. Someone said that I needed to let her know before she heard from someone else. So, I pulled her aside and as I was telling her, my FIL walked in. So, I told him, too. (Bob later told me that he had been wanting to tell his dad so badly but didn't cause I asked him not to yet). Sorry, sweetie.

Having so many people know in such a short amount of time after I had only just found out myself made me extremely nervous. What if the test was wrong? I told my SILS of my concerns and one of them mentioned they had an extra test at their house and we could go get it. So, we loaded up and went to get one. It was now well after midnight, and we had completely missed the ball drop. We got back to the house and I took the second (or fourth) test. NEGATIVE. You've got to be kidding me? I've just told all these people I'm pregnant, and now it looks like I am not. I googled "false readings on digital tests" and sure enough, the brand that I had used was known for giving false positives. I couldn't believe it. It really just took the wind out of my sails. I was riding an emotional roller coaster and wanted off. I knew I needed to just go to bed.

The next five days were no better. I had embarrassed myself completely. Having to go back and tell people that it looked like the test was wrong was humiliating. My mom got back into town that Saturday and brought me another test. For the fifth time, I would test. This time, I could feel the hormone in me, so I was sure something was going on, but of course I wasn't certain.

Positive.


I had lost 5 days of celebrating the little life God had created in me.

No more.



This little baby is due September 13, 2013.

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works,And that my soul knows very well.   Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment