Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Not My Finest..

Cooking. I have a love/hate relationship with cooking. Ok, nope it's just a hate relationship. In the past 18 hours, I've managed to screw up some simple things. First, for dinner last night, I made a couple hamburgers for Bob, and cut up some zucchini to fry. I was seasoning the zucchini while holding Isabelle, and opened the wrong part of the lid on the garlic powder. (Ok, so I didn't know that I should have used the regular garlic and not the powder, either.) Well, almost the whole bottle ended up in my frying pan. Well, I didn't want to throw it away, so I ended up cooking it. Actually, I let it sit in the pan for about 20 minutes before cooking it because it wasn't quite time to start it. I began to smell the garlic all throughout the house. Um, yeah. So, anyway, the zukes were inedible.
Second issue was making lunch for Isabelle. I decided to take the easy route and make her mac-n-cheese for lunch. The girl absolutely loves that! Well, I forgot that I don't have any milk at the moment and the thought of adding water to it disgusts me. So, my solution...(I needed something cold to cool it down so she could eat it) was apple juice. Fail. Not just fail. Epic fail. Wow.
Tonight's dinner is in the crockpot. Let's hope this one works. Here's the recipe:
Chicken, Zucchini, and Potato Soup
Hefty chunks of potato, chicken breast, and zucchini round out this stew perfect for a cold winter's day. The medley of veggies, plus a sprinkle of nutmeg, guarantees this soup is as filling as it is flavorful.
Ingredients:
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into inch square pieces
2 lbs. chicken breast
2 lbs. zucchini, cut into inch square pieces
2 med. onions, chopped
5 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. per serving unsweetened Greek yogurt (optional)
Directions:
Place all ingredients into a crock pot, layering potatoes first, then chicken, followed by zucchini and onions last. Pour in low sodium chicken broth, and sprinkle nutmeg on top. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low heat. After cooking, shred chicken with a fork. When ready to serve, add a tablespoon of unsweetened Greek yogurt to each bowl and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I make mac and cheese with water all the time. It doesn't taste bad at all. No one even knows I don't use milk...I bet you've had mac and cheese with water over here and didn't even know it...muwahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tagged you in a post today, play along!
    http://alongcameeleanor.blogspot.com/2012/01/11-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't we all have those days? I do it all the time too. No worries. So she didn't like apple mac n cheese, huh? lol

    ReplyDelete